Monday, November 23, 2020

Pavement / 3Ds Live at Warners Hotel 11.06.93

                                   


This was a memorable gig. Tall Dwarfs, 3Ds and Pavement all on the same bill. Who could resist?

I remember rocking up to the pub and there was this weird guy near the entryway handing out bits of apple to those who entered. He didn't look familiar but I figured he was just some local weirdo. No apple for me thanks, I'm here for the Guinness (Warners Hotel Guiness was excellent & I believe at that time, imported from Ireland. Very welcoming in the middle of a Christchurch winter believe me). In the end, the apple giver turned out to be Gary, the drummer from Pavement. Maybe he was feeling fruity? Who knows.... It was the start of what was to be, a very excellent evening of good vibes, too many beers & a lot of fucked up noise. Good choice!

The Tall Dwarfs were up first, then 3Ds. Pavement were top of the bill of course. 'Slanted and Enchanted' had only come out the year before and I'd been giving it a good thrashing. I immediately picked up on the 'Fall' references in their music but they had their own thing going too. Just a heavy nod towards the Mark E Smiths song writing book there....not a bad thing for a Fall fan....They were big fans of NZ music too & the video link above will reveal such ties. Love their youthful enthusiasm!

After I'd recorded the 3Ds set, Chris Knox came up to me and said 'Oh I see you're recording the bands.... but you didn't record us did you?' looking me straight in the eye in a vaguely threatening manner. I quickly replied that I already had all his stuff (not a complete lie) and that was the reason why. He glared at me a few seconds longer and then sauntered off to harass some other poor soul. Phew, got outa jail that time! Tall Dwarfs were great too of course. I was just more interested in capturing the main act.

Again recorded on my trusty Sony walkman, this is relatively raw but there's enough detail in there to keep it interesting. Pavement sound a bit more dynamic I think because the 3Ds were so blitzingly ferocious that my walkman could barely cope with the onslaught. It didn't cope well with the high frequency guitar noise sadly. The 3Ds were really a force to be reckoned with in the early days of their existence. I saw them at Crown Hotel in Dunedin around 1991 it was just fucking insane. White noise.... white heat... you couldn't move in that bar, it was that jam packed full of crazed, wasted fans. If you never experienced that, this will give you some idea of what we endured that night.

Pavement were beyond great. They were just so happy to be there. Drinking on stage and just really relaxing into the south sea island vibes. I left quite a bit of stage dialogue in the final mixes as it really helps generate the feel of the evening. You can tell these guys are having fun. Took me a while to figure out what all the songs are (one of them is a Silver Jews cover) but I still have my old Pavement records to reference and of course youtube helped with the more obscure tunes. Some of them are earlier versions of songs they recorded later too so not quite so recognisable. The last song is from the EP 'Watery Domestic' which Nans from Kate in the Lemon Tree gave me one time. I refused to take it but he insisted!  'Texas never whispers' is probably my favourite Pavement song ever. Sadly the tape runs out on it..... that's the way it goes folks. 

In two downloads:

Pavement here.

3Ds here.


4 comments:

  1. You have a good memory to be writing about a gig from so ling ago with such clarity.
    I too was at that gig. I didn't remember it was the Tall Dwarfs playing also, I though it was just Chris Knox solo, but I actually was late and missed their set, which I regret sorely now. I wasn't really all that interested in the support bands back in those days and so missed some great local acts supporting international bands. I do remember standing next to Chris Knox while watching The 3Ds, I was too shy to speak to him.
    I was so excited to be seeing Pavement, I was really into their album and I too was a big Fall fan and got the connection. The NME had been hyping Pavement as the best live band on the planet so I wasn't going to miss that.
    It was also my first and only experience of the 3Ds live(i did know some of their music) and I thought they were absolutely awesome. In fact, I was so blown away by their set that i thought Pavement were rather disappointing afterwards. The 3Ds blew them off the stage IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Roddus, My memory isn't as good as you imagine. I thought it was Knox solo too until I heard the singer from Pavement saying 'thanks to the Tall Dwarfs and the 3Ds' on the tape.... Ha.
      It's cool to see the Dwarfs commenting on the short video clip above too.
      Speaking of 'The Fall' I saw them in Auckland in 1991 with Fatal Jelly space as support. That was a good show (altho we'd been drinking all afternoon so memorys are a little hazy).
      I fixed that Freak Scene link too. Thanks for letting me know. Cheers.

      Delete
  2. how many times do you reckon 3Ds played support and the headliner paled in comparison?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably more than a few.... :)
      You wouldn't really want to go onstage after those guys when they were in their heyday. Round the time 'Swarthy Songs' came out, they were truly frightening.

      Delete