Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Kate in the lemon tree
























Here's something i've been meaning to post for a while now. Some fabulous 'Kate in the lemon tree'.
I went to a party with Tim (mothgod's drummer) sometime in the mid-nineties and was feeling very cynical until this band started playing. I couldn't believe my ears! Great songs, great playing......really fucking wild stuff.
I discovered a while later that they lived down the road from me in Cambridge Tce (literally a stone throw). The whole band (five of them) lived there and they'd created a pretty serious band house for themselves.
The lounge was basically a rehearsal space if i remember rightly.

I've been trying for the last few hours (in vain) to find a birthday card they made me once. I was going to post it on this blog. On the front they'd drawn a wineglass and written 'Happy Birthday Rob', inside it said, 'From the 'How do you do club'. They'd (Chris and Pete i think....) knocked on my door and got me outa bed at about 8am on a freezing sunday morning to give me some cold, burnt toast on a plate and the card.
It wasn't my birthday.

Other strange events were to follow. These guys were up to mischief.....
Another night at about 3am (and again, freezing) we were woken by these guys chasing each other, waist deep in the Avon river across the road (after screaming their lungs out in a sing-along under the bridge).  
Then there were the occasional street antics. Pete and Simon were busking in the city one night late on a friday. Both playing snares and hi hats and jammin some wild stuff. My buddy ALC5 and i were heading to the pub and ran into them. People were trying to give them money which they were adverse to, so then either Pete or Simon would stop playing, pick up the money and throw it back at them.
Art, not money.... thanks. Love it.
Then there was the party we had where one of them drank spilt beer off the kitchen lino....
the list goes on....could write a book really.

The first two songs on this download are from a tape Simon gave me years ago (titles unknown, also ripped as they were on the tape. Don't blame me if there's an intro missing...!).
The rest comes from a CD i have which is NOT the album they released '50 Years of Shark' but contains some of it i believe.
Pete, Simon, Chris, Ian and Hamish (Nans) were 'Kate in the lemon tree'.
Jump in the deep end and give this a listen....highly recommend it.

Hope they don't knock on my door at 8am with some cold burnt toast.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/w2wdt4smz6971xr/Kate_in_the_lemon_tree_Mp3.zip

No comments:

Post a Comment